History of School

The villages of Tiddington and Alveston have come together to share a school for many generations now. Originally on Main Street the school was a beautiful Victorian School House built to serve the local community. As the  villages grew and schooling became compulsory, a new school was erected on the Knights Lane site. The Old School House is now Bigwoods Auction House.
 
Alveston CofE Primary School, as we now know it, was built in the late sixties. Originally just two classrooms and a hall, it has transformed hugely over the years. In 2001 two new classrooms were built. In the next few years two temporary classrooms were erected on the fields.
 
As numbers continued to increase, the school eventually moved to a one form entry school in 2008. More building work took place in 2010-2011 bringing the school into the 21st century with purpose built EYFS facilities, two more light, bright classrooms and a beautiful library area.
 
A wonderful addition following this building work was the establishment of the Forest School site. Starting with a bare field - mounds were installed, saplings planted and fencing erected. This site has now developed into a fabulous learning space to enhance the school.
 
Final building work took place in 2015 to create the Community Room at the front of this school. This addition allows the community to enjoy and benefit from the school facilities for many years to come.
Last year Carol Davies wrote to us. She asked if we would be interested in this photo. 
 
She told us that her grandma was a pupil at Alveston. Mrs Davies thought  her grandma was born in 1907. She belonged to a family of 6 and her name was Edith Margaret Savage.

They lived in tenanted accommodation in Tiddington and her father worked on the Alveston estate.
 
What a fabulous blast from the past! Thank you for sharing this with us.