Organised by charity The Reading Agency (www.readingagency.org.uk) and the UK public library network since 1999, the Summer Reading Challenge is the UK’s biggest annual reading promotion for children aged 4 to 11.
The Summer Reading Challenge combines FREE access to books with fun, creative activities during the summer holidays.
Please find attached some additional information about the Summer Reading Challenge - Wild World Heroes. Here is a link to a short film from the Reading Agency.
How the Challenge works
- The Challenge starts on Saturday 10th July and ends on Saturday 4th September
- Children sign up through their local participating library and receive a Wild World Heroes collector poster and stickers
- Children set a reading goal and borrow and read library books of their own choice during the summer
- Children who complete the Summer Reading Challenge are presented with a certificate and a medal
- The official Challenge website, wildworldheroes.org.uk, hosts digital rewards, author videos, games and more for children to enjoy all summer
How do schools benefit?
- The Summer Reading Challenge is intrinsically inclusive and can contribute to the achievement of ALL your pupils including those with special educational needs, disadvantaged pupils and the most able
- It enhances and supports your school’s reading policy and your mission for all children to read more widely and for pleasure
- It encourages parental engagement and family involvement in reading and helps your school make links with the library and the wider community
- It allows children to become more independent in their reading when choosing books and encourages using imagination and empathy to explore a text beyond the page
- It takes place at your local library and is a brilliant opportunity for extra-curricular activity
- It keeps your pupils reading over the summer, ready for their return to school in the autumn, and supports the successful transition between year groups and key stages
You can find additional information and free resources to support children’s reading for pleasure in the Summer Reading Challenge School Zone: wildworldheroes.org.uk/school-zone-src
By championing the Summer Reading Challenge in your school, you will be continuing to support your pupils’ learning during the holidays, ensuring they return ready for a great start to the new academic year.
It's FUN! It's FREE! It's LOCAL!